HELP!! Its 4.10pm and the extended monsoon rain has kept me away from my weekly grocery routine. M wants dinner and I only have bits of fresh food - a brinjal, half a bittergourd, two tomatoes, couple carrots, eggs and two potatoes. Ah! A frozen chicken fillet.
Its now 10.50pm and in comfort clothes. Managed to whip-up two Chinese dishes, a stir-fried mixed vegetable and a potato-egg soup. All this and my carrots are still sitting pretty in the fridge.
The stir-fried tasted decent. Looked evil due to my over zealous touch of dark soy sauce - wanted to make the taste sweeter and more soulful. Next time, its no-go with the dark soy sauce.
The soup surprised me, had a smooth texture really and tasted really Yummy!
Sorry about the not so picture perfect photo.
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Seed Oil
1. Slice the fillet into thin long strips. Marinate in Light Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Sesame Seed Oil and Cornstarch. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes (or more, as long as its kept in the fridge).
2. Soak Dried Shrimp for 15 minutes. Drain Dried Shrimp and mince it together with Bird's Eye Chillies.
3. Heat wok. Then Oil pour oil in. Then Garlic. Stir till aromatic.
4. Pour in minced Dried Shrimp and Bird's Eye Chillies.
5. Pour in marinated Chicken and stir-fry for one minute. Add Shaoxing Cooking Wine to seal in the taste.
6. Add in Bitter Gourd and stir-fry for one minute.
7. Add in Brinjal and stir-fry for one minute.
8. Add in 1/2 cup of stock or water. Cover for 2-3 minutes.
9. Serve hot.
2 pcs Potato, diced
1 pcs Tomato, diced
1 pcs Egg
750ml Chicken Stock (Freezer normally has 2 weeks supply of chicken and/or vegetable stock)
1. Bring Chicken Stock to boil, put in Potatoes.
2. Simmer for 15 minutes then put in the Tomatoes.
3. Bring to simmer, using a chopstick, stir quickly and stream beaten egg into the center. The swirling effect will make the egg runny and texture of the soup smooth.
4. Salt to taste and serve. Would be great if I had some scallions to top it off!
Off to the grocers tomorrow...