There are many ways to eat congee and depending on the ingredients and the manner that it is prepared, it is great baby food and also as a main meal for adults and children.
In Asia, you will find congee served :
a) plain congee - served with a variety of small dishes like pickles, vegetables, meat and so forth;
b) one-meal dish - this can be in many variations. Today's dish encompasses peanuts, dried oysters and dried scallops.
1/2 cup Long Grain Rice
5-6 cup Water
1/2 cup Raw Peanuts
6-8 pcs Dried Oysters
2-3 pcs Dried Scallops
1 pcs Ginger, 2 inches, shredded
1/2 tsp Oyster Sauce
3 tsp Light Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Sesame Seed Oil
1. Wash the Rice till water is clear. Then leave in 5-6 cups of water in pot for about 15 minutes
2. Rinse the Dried Oyster, Scallops and Peanuts and soak, separately, for 15 minutes.
3. Add Dried Oysters (cut into two), Scallops (shredded) and Peanuts into pot.
4. Once it start to boil, lower flame and allow it to simmer till rice is broken and/or the texture that you prefer. We like it medium textured (not too watery nor too thick) and it normally takes about 30-45 minutes.
5. In separate bowl, add shredded Ginger, Oyster Sauce, Light Soy Sauce and Sesame Seed Oil.
6. Serve Congee garnished with Scallions and a dash of mixture in point No.5 to bring out the flavours.