Saturday, 3 October 2009

Braised Pork in Dark Soy Sauce (Tau Yu Bak) .. Help Needed Please, Please, Please

Once in a while, mom would cook this and I would flood my rice with the rich thick stew. It's also one of those few times when I would go for seconds.

As this dish is also hubby's favourite, I finally decided to give it a try.

After much time spent in the kitchen this evening, my first try on this dish was in for a disaster. Hah! Who said this was easy?!

The dish came out too sweet - ok, got to go slow on the rock sugar. And, my tongue felt tangy and bit numb..What happened here?

Hubby was so kind he rated a 5/10 when personally I felt this dish was a 1/10 (1 for effort).

Totally, forgot about photographing this dish-disaster as my mind was and still is wondering how to improve on my next try..maybe tomorrow? Hmmm
Can anyone out there HELP me out with this recipe please?

These were the ingredients:

500g   Pork Belly
1 pkt   Tau Kwa
1 clove Garlic
1 pcs Cinnamon
1 pcs Star Anise
1 pcs Rock Sugar
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste

Marinade
3tbs Dark Soy Sauce
2tbs Light Soy Sauce
2tbs Oyster Sauce
1tsp Five Spice Powder

1. Use ingredients in "Marinade" on Pork Belly and set aside for few hours.
2. Heat pot. Melt Rock Sugar.
3. Add Pork Belly & coat with melted Rock Sugar.
4. Add water, Garlic, Cinnamon & Star Anise. Simmer for 1 hour.
5. Add Tau Kwa. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
6. Serve.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.deliciousasianfood.com/2006/07/21/tau-yu-bak-stewed-pork-in-soya-sauce/

    Try this site. I've never had it before so I don't know if this is the one you are looking for. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Qutins,
    Thanks. This looks like the one.. fingers crossed now

    ReplyDelete