Saturday, 14 November 2009

Kangkung Belacan


At the supermarket, the fresh green kangkung (water spinach) kept calling out to me. I kept hesitating but in the end, it ended up in my trolley. Hmm.. I love this veg especially with belacan (dried shrimp paste).

This dish is affectionately known as Kangkung Belacan and is a signature dish found in Malaysia and Singapore. Singapore version, a little sweeter and less spicy. Malaysian version normally has a more generous portion of belacan and is also spicier.. yummy!

It’s my first try and I am craving for this dish. Oh, do ensure that you roast the belacan first to get the aroma. Otherwise, it can taste rather flat.

My tiny dwellings was saved from the smoke and the pungent smell of roasting belacan - hijacked a bottle of roasted belacan from mom’s. Should last me quite some time now *wink*

Verdict – YUMMY!!! Yeah, I am blowing my own trumpet here...but really, it tasted goodddddddd.

Ingredients

220g Kangkung (Water Spinach)
1 clove Garlic
3 Shallots
1tbs Chilli Paste
2 tbsp Belacan, roasted (Dried Shrimp paste)
1 tbsp Dried Shrimp
1 Red Chilli, chopped finely

1. Soak Dried Shrimp till softened. Drain and reserve the liquid.
2. Either pound or grind Garlic, Shallots, Belacan & softened Dried Shrimps into paste. I do not have a grinder (yet!) so I chopped the ingredients till fine and mixed it together.
3. Heat wok. Add oil. Add paste and stir-fry paste till fragrant.
4. Add kangkung. Add reserved liquid. Stir fry.
5. Add chopped Chilli, optional as some may like it less or more spicy.
6. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment