Monday, 30 November 2009

Old Cucumber Soup


A traditional Cantonese soup that is often found in most Chinese Malaysian and Chinese Singaporean homes.

When I first made this soup on my own, it turned out a little sour. I asked mom how could this happen? First thing she asked “did you remove the seeds?” Well, I removed most but felt it was such a waste to scrape all as it meant removing some of the cucumber flesh too. Ahh..this was really a scenario of penny-wise, pound-foolish!

Ever since then, the entire seed cavity of the cucumber is always cleaned properly before its added into the pot and simmered for about 2.5-3.0 hours.

Some people add dried cuttlefish or dried octopus but tendency I’ll skip it for this particular soup. Instead, I add a couple more dried oysters.

When the soup is ready, I love my soup served with a dash of light soy sauce. I enjoy eating the soft cucumber flesh and the skin too!


Ingredients

300g Old Cucumber (Chinese Yellow Cucumber), remove seeds
200g Lean Meat or Pork Ribs
10 pcs Red Dates, pitted
6 pcs Dried Oysters
2 pcs Scallop
1.5L Water
Salt, to taste

1. Bring water to boil. Add Lean Meat or Pork Ribs. Remove layer of scum from surface.
2. Once water boils again. Add rest of ingredients
3. Simmer over low fire for 2.5-3.0 hours.
4. Add Salt, to taste
5. Serve.

4 comments:

  1. Hi-five! I love dried oysters in my soups! This soup looks so beautifully brewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this soup and thanks for sharing about "removing all the seeds".. now I know what has been going wrong with my soup!! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love such soups....which reminds me...I have not cooked old cucumber soup for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh...this is a very delicious soup. I used to have alot of this soup back home. Now I really miss it. Can't get the old cucumber, oyster and dry scallops here :(

    ReplyDelete