Wednesday, 25 November 2009
Sesame Chili Tom Yam Chicken
One of the best things about stir-fries, is that the ingredients that make-up the dish can be almost anything and as colourful as you like it to be.
When I used to make this stir-fry during my uni days, it was really basic – chicken, tom yam paste, garlic, onions and chilies. Was on a budget and well, wasn’t that adventurous.
Over the years, I have evolved this dish by adding mushrooms, cucumber, sesame seeds and fish sauce. Sometimes, I’ll add in tomatoes too. The burst of colour is just simply and amazingly appetising.
If you are wondering why add fish sauce? Well, I really do not know how to explain it but somehow, the fish sauce enhances the aroma of the seafood ingredients in the tom yam paste.
1 pcs Chicken Fillet, sliced
4 pcs Fresh Mushroom, sliced
4 pcs Dried Chilies
½ Cucumber, sliced
½ Onion, sliced
1 tsp Sesame Seed Oil
1 tbsp Tom Yam Paste
1 tbsp Fish Sauce
½ tsp Cornstarch
2 tbsp Shaoxing Cooking Wine
2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
1. To re-constitute: Put Dried Chilies in bowl of warm water. Once soft, remove from water.
2. Mix sliced Chicken Fillet, Tom Yam Paste, Sesame Seed Oil & Cornstarch. Leave to marinate for about 15 minutes.
3. Heat wok. Add oil. Once hot, add Garlic. Fry till fragrant.
4. Add sliced Onion. Fry till fragrant. Leave a few slices for garnishing.
5. Add Mushroom. Fry & add 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine. Stir a few times and remove ingredients onto a plate.
6. Reheat wok. Add Chicken. Stir few times.
7. Add Shaoxing Cooking Wine. Stir few times.
8. Add Chilies. Stir few times.
9. Add Fish Sauce. Stir few times.
10. Add Cucumber & add earlier removed ingredients. Stir fry.
11. Turn heat off and sprinkle Sesame Seeds. Mixed well.
12. Serve immediately.