Sunday, 3 January 2010

Stir-Fried Sweet Potato Leaves with Chinese Cheese



Chinese Cheese or fermented Tofu is also known in Cantonese as “Fu Yu”.

Fu Yu has a somewhat cheesy smell (at least to me!), creamy and smooth texture and comes bottled. Some versions are creamy coloured whilst some reddish as its fermented with chilies.
Fu Yu is normally eaten with rice, congee, vegetable stir-fries and in marinades for meats. A little Fu Yu goes a long way so please don’t be over zealous when adding!

M loves Fu Yu in most versions whilst, I enjoy it in stir-fries and marinates. For this version, this particular Fu Yu was fermented in sesame oil and chilies, making it more fragrant. Yup! I didn't have to add Sesame Oil to this dish.

The other major ingredient here is Sweet Potato Leaves, a local favourite. You'll find this vegetable more commonly stir-fried with belacan (dried shrimp paste) than with Fu Yu. I love this vegetable as its tasty, easily found in Southeast Asia and relatively inexpensive (less than SGD1/=  for 500g).

Enjoy...

Ingredients

500g Sweet Potato Leaves
6 cloves Garlic, chopped
3 tsp Chili Fu Yu
4 tbp Water

1. Heat wok. Add oil.
2. Add Garlic. Fry till fragrant.
3. Add Fu Yu. Break into smaller pieces. Fry till fragrant.
4. Add Sweet Potato Leaves and fry for few minutes.
5. Add Water and fry another couple minutes.
6. Serve

7 comments:

  1. I didn't know that people eat sweet potato leaves, and I never heard of 'FuYu'!

    My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comparison of Fermented Tofu as Chinese Cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DocChuck: Sweet potato leaves taste really good and hope you do try "Fu Yu" soon..

    tigerfish: :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating. I'd never heard of either fu yu or using sweet potato leaves. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family loves fuyu especially stir fried with local vegetables. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Fu Yu! This is a dish I would happily and guiltlessly wolf down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best dish that I had eaten when I went back for holidays last year. My friend cooked it for me. I never believe that fermented bean curd makes the dish so delicious. I really miss these potato leaves....so fresh and so easy to cook.

    ReplyDelete