Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Bitter Gourd with Chinese Cheese (Fu Yu)

A total experimental dish as neither M nor I have ever had Fu Yu with bitter gourd!

Outcome: Surprisingly, the bitterness of the gourd was muted, possibly by the Fu Yu?

Since M says, he’s looking forward to bitter gourd Fu Yu next time, means it tasted decent. Passed the lab rat test! Whew!

For this dish, I used Fu Yu that was fermented in sesame oil and chilies. So it meant cutting out sesame oil from the ingredients.

Ingredients
1 Bitter Gourd, sliced
6 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 tsp Chili Fu Yu

1. Heat wok. Add oil.
2. Add Garlic. Fry till fragrant.
3. Add Bitter Gourd. Stir.
4. Add Fu Yu. Mix to coat the Bitter Gourd slices.
5. Serve.

3 comments:

  1. I would appreciate if you could explain on how one can prepare bittergourd without it being too bitter towards the end. Some says it's the foamy white bits that makes it bitter so it has to be completely scraped off. Some says you need to parboiled it etc. I have no idea because I don't cook much with bittergourd. Can you guide me? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Quinn,
    We actually enjoy the bitterness of the gourd. However, if you don't like it too bitter, after cutting it, use some salt over the bitter gourd slices and leave for about 10 minutes and rinse off.
    As to the foamy white bits, I have tried it raw before and it doesn't seem to taste bitter like the flesh. (Qualifier: I have a high tolerance for bitter stuff though!). BUT the seeds are quite bitter.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like bittergourd but never tried it with Fu Yu.

    ReplyDelete