Saturday, 20 March 2010
Claypot Chicken Rice
Finally, a smaller claypot – compliments from mom. Thank You!
For a change, I get to cook Claypot Chicken Rice in a proper claypot! Somehow, it just taste much better in a claypots and the slightly burnt rice at the bottom of the claypot, it is just absolutely to die for!! Obviously good things come with a little work – when cooking, you just got to keep alert and open the lid of the claypot a couple of times to ensure that you don’t get burnt claypot rice!
I used to do the cheat version of using a rice cooker but the taste always seemed a little flat. Then again, it is a cheat’s version where it’s automatic and there isn’t a need to keep an eye on the pot!
Rice, for two persons
1 pcs Chicken Drumstick, chopped into bite-size
1 pcs Chicken Thigh, chopped into bite-size
1 pcs Chinese Sausage (Lup Cheong), sliced
6 pcs Chinese Mushroom, reconstituted & sliced
1 tbsp Ginger juice
1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Cornstarch
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Scallions, for garnish
1. Wash rice until water is clear. Drain water.
2. Put cut Chicken into bowl. Mix in Light Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Dark Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil, Ginger Juice and Cornstarch. Leave to marinate for an hour.
3. Heat wok. Add Chinese Sausage and fry till slightly golden. Add marinated Chicken and Fry. Add Mushrooms. Fry till Chicken is slightly cooked. Set aside.
4. Oil your claypot (to minimize sticking). Add washed Rice and Salt. Stir till Rice is translucent.
5. Add Chicken Stock. Once it starts to boil bring to a simmer.
6. Once water has evaporated till rice level, Add Chinese Sausage, Chicken and Mushrooms. Cover the claypot for 10-15 minutes.
7. Stir to ensure rice and ingredients are mixed well.
8. Cover and cook for another 10-15minutes or until rice is cooked.
9. Remove from heat.
10. Garnish with Scallions and Pepper.