Dumplings are synonymous with Chinese cuisine. I particularly love “sui kow” a dumpling which is mainly made up of chopped prawns and a little minced pork, and is served soup-styled.
This recipe has been improvised from the “sui kow” recipe as I had more minced pork than prawns on my hands. So, it’s just called Dumplings!
If you want to make “sui kow” just ensure that you have prawn to pork ratio of 2:1.
Once it was served, M scanned the dining table and shot me a question “Where are the cut chilies?”
It’s normally a habit that cut chilies in light soy sauce is served as a condiment at almost every Asian meal of ours. As I immediately wanted to tuck into these succulent Dumplings, I just took the lazy way out – “We ran out of chilies, dear”.
100g Prawns, roughly chopped
200g Pork, minced
6 stalks Spring Onions, sliced finely into rounds
6pcs Water Chestnuts, roughly chopped.
6pcs Dried Mushroom
15–20pcs Dumpling Wrappers
750ml – 1L Chicken and/or Anchovies Stock
1tbs Oyster Sauce
1tbs Light Soy Sauce
1tsp Sesame Oil
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Sugar
1tsp Shaoxing Cooking Wine
1. Peel and de-vein Prawns and roughly chopped.
2. Peel Water Chestnuts and roughly chopped.
3. Reconstitute Dried Mushrooms. Squeeze out water and roughly chopped.
4. Mix minced Pork and Prawns.
5. Mix marinade to minced Pork/Prawns. Using hands, mix well and lift meat and toss it back into bowl. Repeat till meat doesn’t stick to bowl. This technique is said to give the meat the firm and bouncy texture.
6. Add chopped Mushroom, chopped Water Chestnuts and half of the finely sliced Spring Onions to meat. Mix well and leave for at least 30 minutes.
7. To Wrap Dumpling:
i) 1tbp of meat to centre of the wrapper.
ii) Wet edges of the wrapper. Fold into half and press firmly.
iii) Do NOT use too much filling as wrapper will break.
8. Bring Stock to boil.
9. Bring Water to boil add. Drop the Dumplings into the boiling water. Once Dumplings skin turns transparent and floats to the surface, remove with strainer to serving bowls.
10. Add boiled Stock to the serving bowls with the Dumplings.
11. Garnish with Spring Onions and serve.