Thursday, 11 November 2010

Amaranth (Chinese Spinach) Soup


Amaranth or Chinese spinach or “Yin Choy” (in Cantonese) is a beautiful leafy veg that comes in total green leaves or green leaves with streaks of purplish red running in the middle.


When at home, M and I prefer the one with purplish red streaks which turns the soup into a reddish tone! And at restaurants, we'll normally have the green leafy ones that is normally done with rich superior stock.

Find the purplish red species more eye catching and appetizing. Don't you agree?


Ingredients
300g Amaranth
2 tbsp Wolfberries
4 cloves Garlic, sliced thickly
Stock (Ikan Bilis/Anchovies stock)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1. Cut roots of Amaranth. Remove fiber on stems and cut to bite size (about 1”)
2. Heat work. Add Oil. Once hot, add Garlic and fry till fragrant.
3. Add Stock, sufficent to cover Amaranth.Bring to boil.
4. Add Wolfberries.
5. Add Amaranth stems then the leaves.
6. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
7. Serve.

2 comments:

  1. I am familiar with this dish:D Thanks for visiting my blog and take time to leave your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I’m looking to make some changes in my own eating habits, so I appreciate your insight a lot! Thank you. I recently stumbled upon this blog like I did yours and I thought your readers may appreciate it: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/food-for-thought/

    I’ve started to look for their stuff more regularly and I think I’m going to add your blog to my list as well. Thanks for the post!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete