The last time that I cooked curry chicken from scratch was over 10 years ago and that was during uni days!
As tomorrow looks to be a heavy day, thought I’ll make curry chicken for dinner tonight and that it should take us through till tomorrow. Ahh, not a bad deal for a one pot = 3 meals!! (Dinner, Breakfast , Lunch)
For dinner and lunch, it’ll be eaten with rice and likely, we’ll “banjir” our rice with the gravy. (“Banjir” is Bahasa Malaysia for “flood”)..oooh..
…and for breakfast, it’ll be with toasted bread or french loaf dipped into the rich sinful creamy gravy..
1kg Chicken, chopped
4 pcs Potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
200ml Coconut Milk Thick
1 pcs Star Anise
1 pcs Cinnamon
8-10 pcs Red Chilies
6 pcs Large Red Onion (or 15-20pcs Shallots)
2 stalks Lemongrass (“Serai” in Bahasa Malaysia)
1 bulb Garlic
1 inch Turmeric
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
2 tbsp Curry Powder
½ tsp Sugar, or to taste
½ tsp Salt, or to taste
Chinese Parsley, garnishing
1. Marinate Chicken in Curry Powder for few hours.
2. In a pan, toast Fennel, Cumin & Coriander till fragrant.
3. Grind Red Chilies, Onions, Lemongrass, Garlic, Turmeric, toasted Fennel, Cumin and toasted Coriander.
4. Heat oil. Once hot, add Star Anise and Cinnamon. Saute till fragrant.
5. Add ground spices and stir fry over low heat till fragrant and oil separates.
6. Add Chicken and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
7. Add Potatoes and Coconut Milk. Simmer till Chicken and Potatoes are cooked.
8. Season with Salt & Pepper.
9. Garnish with Chinese Parsley and Serve.