Oyster Sauce Chicken is a common dish in Chinese homes and in mine, we would always request mom to add more Dark Soy Sauce bringing the dish to a deep dark brown. Hence, the name, Dark Oyster Sauce Ginger Chicken.
Admittedly, we had many shocked faces upon seeing this dark dish in our home. With a bit of convincing for the first bite, friends tend to get hooked after that!
To get the glassy glazed finish, both the younger ginger and garlic have been ground to get a paste-like consistency. As the dish simmers and gravy thickens, the ground ginger and garlic just glues itself to the chicken.
Result: Tender, moist and tasty chicken.
300g Chicken, chopped into bite size
2 tbsp Garlic, ground
4 tbsp Ginger, ground
1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tsp Shaoxing Wine
1/3 cup Water
Sugar, a pinch
Pepper, to taste
Spring Onions, garnish
1. Put Chicken in a bowl, add 2 tbsp Ginger, Dark Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Sesame Oil and Light Soy Sauce. Mix well and marinate over an hour or longer.
2. Heat wok. Add Oil. Once hot, add Garlic and remaining Ginger. Fry till fragrant.
3. Add marinated Chicken. Stir for a 1-2 minutes over high heat. Add Shaoxing Wine and fry till fragrant.
4. Add Water. Bring to boil and lower heat to a simmer. Allow Chicken to cook and gravy to thicken till desired level. Gravy should thicken to a paste-like texture giving a glaze to the chicken.
NOTE: If gravy is too watery, in a bowl, mix a teaspoon of cornstarch with a little water. Add mixture to wok and stir.
5. Add Sugar and Pepper.
6. Serve with Spring Onions as garnish.